Monday, April 4, 2011

Celebrate National Poetry Month

Hello Teachers/Writers,

Spring is in the air and I am busy gathering a new collection.  "Of what?" you might ask.  Well, I'll tell you. 
Poems. 

I am gathering them from lots of different places and getting inspiration from several other bloggers, teachers and kids.  One of my favorite sites right now is the Poetry Everywhere site from PBS.  Lucille Clifton is one of my favorite poets of all time and I thought this clip would welcome us all into the celebration that is National Poetry month.  You can see more of these great videos at the Poetry Everywhere site.  Thank you PBS!



"won't you celebrate with me..."
 
Another favorite of teachers is this poem by Naomi Shihab Nye.

"Music lives inside my legs..."

I also found a lovely blog, with several great suggestions for anthologies and ways to use poetry in the classroom.  Go to http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/

I'll be back with some of my favorite poems and suggestions for ways we can help kids read and write poetry later this month.  Happy collecting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment